The Priory School is the founding member of The Priory School Trust. Set up as a girls’ grammar school in 1939, it became a mixed comprehensive when Priory Boys’ Grammar School (now Shrewsbury Sixth Form College) joined in 1980.
The Priory School has a reputation for academic excellence and it is our aim to ensure that every child is encouraged to pursue their own personal excellence, and provide an education that will encourage students to become lifelong learners. It is also our belief that this can only be achieved if parents, staff and governors work together to ensure the best possible support and provision for each child.
The Priory School encourages students to take on responsibility. In Year 10, students are able to apply for the positions of Head Girl and Head Boy. The duties of Head Boy, Head Girl and Deputies are various and include them acting as ambassadors for the school, setting an annual theme which is then pursued throughout the whole school. There is also The School Council, which is used to act as an executive body receiving reports from and consulting with different student groups with specific responsibilities within the school.
The school operates a house system comprising of six houses Acton, Darwin, Baxter, Webb, Housman and Clive. One form in each year group belongs to one of the houses, which are run entirely by Year 11 students. The activities that they run vary from inter house sports through to fund raising. In March the House Cup is awarded to the winning house.